As our magazine grows, the need to expand our team grows as well. In two years, we’ve read about 6,000 stories and published 100+ stories in our first ten issues. In 2015, we have published a print and ebook anthology and we have two more anthologies coming in 2016. So we’re going to be busy.
Even though the magazine is mainly focused on publishing short fiction, we do have a non-fiction section that we would like to improve. As of now, it includes two to four interviews with writers or editors, an artist spotlight, a book review, and a movie review every other month. In the past we’ve also included other things such as game reviews, science articles, and other articles related to science or speculative fiction.
To better align our duties, we are seeking a volunteer non-fiction editor who can fully take the helm of the non-fiction portion.
What are the requirements?
- Finding authors to interview, preparing the interview questions, and interviewing them
- Looking for interesting articles that can be reprinted
- Finding book reviews to reprint or commission
- Finding movie reviews to reprint or commission
- Create the full deck of articles for each issue
- Copyedit and proofread the final results before passing them to the Editor-in-Chief
Here are some examples of non-fiction articles we’ve published in the past:
- Author Interview Example
- Editor Interview Example
- Artist Spotlight Example
- Book Review Example
- Movie Review Example
- Game Review Example
- Science Article Example
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Someone with passion for speculative fiction who is an avid reader and/or writer; he or she must love the written word
- Good writing and communication skills and a professional attitude
- Good time management and responsiveness
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word
- Prior interviewing experience desired but not required
- Prior copyediting or non-fiction writing experience desired but not required
Just a reminder: this is a volunteer position. Our magazine is still a baby, and, although we got our baby teeth, we are still far from where we hope to go. Everyone who works with us works on a volunteer basis. We do hope that things will change in the future and if they do, everyone will benefit. But, until we reach that level, we are reliant on the work and dedication of our volunteers. Please only apply if you are aware and okay with these conditions.
To apply, please fill-in the form below. We will be in touch with you shortly. If you have any questions, please write us at editor (at) fantasyscrollmag (dot) com.